Applies to: SmarterMail 6.x
The following article explains the steps necessary to move SmarterMail and all domains from one server to another. In this article, it is assumed that you store all of your domain data in the default C:\SmarterMail\Domains directory, and that the product is installed in the default location.
Before starting the move process, add new MX records to your domains in DNS for the new server and allow 24-48 hours for the records to propagate through the internet. Doing so will help ensure that you do not lose any mail.
Check your license key in the Customer Portal - Account Management area of SmarterTools.com in order to ensure that the key can be activated, again.
Important Note: If you are looking for a failover solution for SmarterMail, these instructions still apply. Step 3 illustrates what files will need to be copied/synchronized with your fail over server. Keep in mind that SmarterMail will need to be reactivated when you bring the backup server online.
- Install SmarterMail on the new server, and follow the IIS instructions if you plan on using it instead of the SmarterMail web server.
- Stop the SmarterMail Service on both servers
- Copy the following files and folders from your old server to your new one:
- C:\program files\smartertools\smartermail\service\mailconfig.xml
- C:\program files\smartertools\smartermail\service\domainlist.xml
- C:\program files\smartertools\smartermail\service\greylistbypass.xml
- C:\program files\smartertools\smartermail\service\greylist.dat
- Start the SmarterMail service on the new server
- Log in and re-activate the software on the new server
- If you are going to be using a new IP address on this new server, you will need to update the domains to use this new IP. You can do this through Domain Setup, which can be accessed from the Manage Domains page. If you have multiple domains with changed IPs, SmarterTools provides a utility you can use to update settings for all domains (including ip). You can click the download link for the stupdate utility.
- If you change the path to your domains, you would need to edit your domainList.xml file accordingly to reflect the new paths.
- If your DNS servers change, update the corresponding setting in SmarterMail and restart the SmarterMail Service (or reboot the server) to make the change effective.